Our Sopavib laboratory carried out IK and IP water tests on a Vignal Group truck rear light to test its watertightness and mechanical resistance. The IP tests carried out validated the watertightness of the light against water infiltration, dust and the penetration of solid bodies, which could alter the proper functioning of the light.
These tests are carried out to anticipate electrical risks and to avoid short circuits or flames. This test is often accompanied by an insulation resistance measurement or a dielectric strength test. IK tests are also carried out to assess the external and internal mechanical resistance of the fire to shocks and impacts.
Sopavib provides quality service and expertise in IP and IK testing, performing all these services in accordance with ISO 20653, IEC 60529 and IEC 62262 standards under COFRAC accreditation. At the Sopavib test centre, all tests are carried out by our experts indoors under controlled environmental conditions.
Evaluation of Vignal Group's truck fire resistance with two water IP tests
The resistance of the truck light:
impact resistance test with a heavy vehicle
The IK tests simulate impact energy on the product, in order to test its mechanical strength, both on the outside of the product and on the inside. On the Vignal Group fire, the IK7 was carried out using a pendulum hammer; an impact of 2 joules which is equivalent to the fall of a 0.5 kg mass from a height of 40 cm.
The impactor is dropped in the centre of the fire and on each side of the outer part. The outer part of the lamp showed no cracks after 5 impacts on the front face, as did the interior of the lamp which showed no displacement of electrical wires and still functions after this impact, meeting the expected electrical compliance.
With real-life simulations,
Sopavib is able to perform all IP and IK tests
Our laboratory has a great deal of expertise and carries out over 200 IP and IK tests per year. It always strives for excellence through a process of continuous improvement. We support you in ensuring the compliance of your product before it is put on the market, where you need to guarantee a satisfactory level of safety for the protection of people and property. Your product documentation must meet the requirements of the electrical safety standards to which the product is subject and comply with them depending on its location (indoor, outdoor), such as the protection indices (called IP and IK codes).
Focus on Sopavib's
water IP tests
Liquid IP tests require several levels of severity. Sopavib has all the necessary means to carry out all the IP water severities on your products, from drop simulation to total immersion and jet tests.
Our technicians meet your expectations and the expected watertightness of your products by passing all levels of testing:
- IPX1 & IPX2: rain simulator with your product placed on a turntable and underneath a 1.2m by 1m drip tray to wet its entire surface and for the level above, your product is tilted at 15 degrees on each side in turn.
- IPX3 & IPX4: this test depends on the size of your product, if your product is large, our technician will water the surface of your product with a watering can and if your product is small, our technician will set up a swivel hoop over your product. For the top level, the concept is the same but the angle is not the same, our technician seeks to wet and water the underside of your product.
- IPX5 & IPX6: your technician uses a water jet with a higher water flow rate than the watering head and for the top level, the nozzle of this water jet has a larger diameter and an even higher water flow rate.
- IPX7 & IPX8: immersion of your product in 1 meter of water for 30 minutes and for the level above, the customer chooses the severity of the test by choosing the duration of immersion and the height of the water. This test can be carried out in a pressure chamber and allows for immersion up to a water height of 8 metres.
- IPX9: the product is placed in a cage in the centre of a turntable under 4 fixed nozzles with a distance to the product of 150 mm, these nozzles emit hot water under strong jets (up to 100 bar). The aim is to check that under strong jets, the joints or welds do not open and that this does not degrade the performance of your product. If your product is large and does not fit in the cage, our technician will spray your product with a manual nozzle.
A large volume dust chamber
for your IP dust tests
As with liquid IP testing, solid IP testing requires several levels of severity. Sopavib has the means to test all protection classes against access to dangerous parts and penetration of foreign bodies.
For the highest ratings (IP5X and IP6X) Sopavib has a 10 m³ dust chamber.
- IP1X: Protection against access to hazardous parts with the back of the hand and against the penetration of foreign bodies of diameter ≥ 50mm. Test with a standard 50mm sphere applied to all openings of the specimen.
- IP2X: Protection against access to dangerous parts with a finger and against the penetration of foreign bodies of diameter ≥ 12.5mm. Test with 12mm hinged test finger and 12.5mm standard sphere applied to all openings of the specimen.
- IP3X: Protection against access to hazardous parts with a tool and against penetration by foreign bodies of diameter ≥ 2.5mm. Access gauge test of 2.5mm applied to all openings of the specimen.
- IP4X: Protection against access to hazardous parts with a wire and against the penetration of foreign bodies of diameter ≥ 1mm. Access gauge test of 1mm applied to all openings of the specimen.
- IP5X: Protection against dust. Tested in a talcum dust chamber, with or without vacuum inside the specimen depending on its category.
- IP6X: Tightness to talcum dust. Test performed in a dust chamber with vacuum inside the specimen under test.
- IP5KX & IP6KX: Tightness to Arizona dust type A2. Test carried out in a specific enclosure with functional cycling of the specimen.
Sopavib's solid IK tests
The IK tests allow us to verify the mechanical strength to shocks and impacts on the casings and internal parts of the specimens.
Sopavib has test benches with associated weights (from 250 g to 5 kg) to carry out all severities from IK01 (0.14 J) to IK11 (50 J).